10 dangerous indoor plants for children


While indoor plants beautify homes, parents should be aware of these 10 plants that can be harmful to children’s health.



Bonsai is the traditional Japanese art of growing miniature trees, which always looks spectacular and extraordinary. But it turns out it has its downsides too. Allergy sufferers who suffer from pollen and flowering should be careful with dwarf plants: like tall trees, they can cause a strong allergic reaction, especially exotic species.

English ivy:

english ivy

English ivy is the closest relative of poison ivy. And if with the latter everything is clear even by name, with the first everything is not so unambiguous.

Many people continue to use English ivy as a houseplant, unaware that it can cause an allergic skin reaction, resulting in itching, rashes, or blisters. Pet owners should be especially careful when raising ivy. If your pet swallows an ivy leaf, it may develop respiratory problems, paralysis, or even a coma.



The yucca is one of the most spectacular houseplants. Due to its structure, it is often confused with a palm tree. Yucca leaves protrude in different directions, slightly bent downward. But this plant is also unsuitable for allergy sufferers: it will immediately cause the urge to sneeze constantly.

Euphorbia trine:

Euphoria Trine

Euphorbia trigona is a succulent that contains a special milky sap that can cause severe skin irritation, burns and blisters. Never let the sap of Euphorbia trigona get into your eyes: it can even make you blind.



Dieffenbachia contains crystals of calcium oxalate and is therefore particularly dangerous for cats and dogs. As in the case of caladium, it can lead to tragic consequences if the animal accidentally swallows it: it can cause severe burns in the mouth, swelling, respiratory failure and even death.

Devil’s Ivy:

devil’s ivy

Despite its reputation as the best plant for purifying indoor air, devil’s ivy is extremely dangerous. In fact, that’s what its name suggests. Irritation, burning, vomiting and diarrhea are some of the consequences of ingesting the plant in humans. In cats and dogs, it can cause choking, swelling, shortness of breath, kidney failure, and even death.



Oleander is a beautiful plant with pink flowers. However, what can happen if you get too close to this plant is alarming. According to the Canadian Center for Biodiversity Information, this plant is extremely poisonous. So even a single leaf can have a deadly effect! The worst idea is to use the branches of this shrub as skewers at a picnic.



Poinsettias, despite their beautiful name, are also a serious danger to humans and animals. The spectacular plants with red leaves, often presented in our stores at Christmas time, cause health problems: if the sap comes into contact with human skin, you will immediately get a rash. Vomiting, diarrhea and skin irritation will occur in your pets if they accidentally eat a leaf of this thistle.

Solanum Pseudocapsicum:

Solanum Pseudocapsicum

Solanum Pseudocapsicum is a pretty houseplant with orange-red berries. But it can be a threat to curious children who want to taste its fruits. The fact is that the berries of this plant are poisonous. They can cause poisoning, headaches, diarrhea, respiratory failure and paralysis.



If you have young children or pets in your home, get rid of zamioculcas immediately. This plant has a beautiful exotic appearance but is poisonous, especially to children and pets. This can give them a rash and, if swallowed, tingling and nausea.

Metroxylon Sagu:

Metroxylon Sagu

Metroxylon sagu is a valuable food plant, from the kernel of which sago, a starchy food product, is obtained. However, every part of this exotic flower is poisonous to animals. Sagas are the source of all sorts of unpleasant symptoms, from diarrhea to liver failure to death.



Chlorophytum should absolutely not be purchased by allergy sufferers. It may seem like a great air purifier, but if you suddenly notice that you’re having trouble breathing and feeling fine after bringing it into the house, get rid of chlorophytum right away.

Crasula Ovata:

Crassule Ovata

Crassula ovata is harmful to curious cats and dogs. This can cause them stomach upset, heart rhythm disturbances and even depression. So don’t rush to give this beautiful, seemingly harmless plant, also known as “money tree,” to pet owners.

** Extract from Capital Post

Source link


Comments are closed.