We’ve reviewed a few REDMAGIC gaming smartphones here at Techaeris, and they offer good value for money, even for non-gamers. Each new release offers incremental updates over the previous one, but every now and then new features make their way into the company’s lineup. With the REDMAGIC 7 PRO, you can say goodbye to the notch with an under-display camera (the first in a flagship gaming smartphone). Another new feature is the introduction of an independent chip to offload some mobile gaming functions from the Snapdragon 8 Gen 1 SoC for even better gaming performance.
Estimated reading time: 5 minutes
Dubbed the “Pro Vision Gaming” smartphone by the company, the under-display camera gives gamers a true full-screen mobile gaming experience. Like its predecessors, the REDMAGIC 7 PRO features a 6.8-inch Full HD (1080×2400) AMOLED display. With a refresh rate of up to 120Hz, automatic adjustments, and a multi-finger touch sampling rate of 960Hz, gaming performance should be smooth. The display also offers a wide 100% DCI-P3 color gamut and a peak brightness of 600 nits.
“REDMAGIC 7 PRO’s UDC is set to be the near-perfect display for entertainment and gaming in 2022. Its design features five full-screen technologies. First, the ‘Multi-Drive ACE’ is an innovative circuit designed to increase transmissivity light from the area above the UDC. As a result, it smooths the transition of the UDC area and other areas of the screen. Then there are the “seven layers of highly transparent materials”, formed by special OLEDs and high-tech materials making the UDC areas more translucent.
“Then there is the ‘Wave Electrode’ of REDMAGIC 7 PRO. This is the industry’s first wave-type electrode tracing program. The new wave electrode can reduce the diffraction generated by light through complex graphics.As a result, it effectively improves the clarity of the image.In addition, the “UDC PRO screen display chip”.The chip is composed of an improvement and optimization pixel intelligence for more accurate imaging.As a result, the display effect is more accurate, synchronized, and the consistency is better.Finally, the “Ding Type Pixel Arrangement”, a specialized pixel arrangement that improves image clarity. display compared to UDC.While letting more light through the screen into the under-display camera for better selfies.
REDMAGIC press release
To further enhance gaming performance, REDMAGIC has added a dedicated gaming chip, the Red Core 1, to complement the main Snapdragon 8 Gen 1 SoC. As we saw with the REDMAGIC 7 in our review, the Snapdragon 8 SoC Gen 1 alone offered excellent performance. With the Red Core 1, a new independent chip designed by nubia, gamers can expect even faster performance. The new chip will take over some of the mobile gaming functions such as audio processing, RGB lighting, and haptic feedback, allowing the main Snapdragon SoC to focus more on graphics and frame rate related tasks.
The REDMAGIC 7 PRO Pro Vision Gaming device comes in two models: Supernova with 16GB RAM + 512GB storage, symbolizing the glowing star in the dark, exciting gamers when RGB lights are on; and Obsidian with 16GB + 256GB of storage, inspired by a volcanic glass formed from the rapidly cooling lava of a volcano that gives a fantastical and magical glowing look.
The specifications of the new REDMAGIC 7 PRO gaming smartphone include:
- Chip: Snapdragon 8 Gen 1 + Dedicated Red Core 1 Gaming Chip
- Battery charging: 5000mAh dual cell battery + up to 65W charging for EU/US/UK/GL
- Triggers: Dual 500Hz Touchpad Shoulder Trigger
- Design: Supernova (Transparent version) | Obsidian (black version)
- Turbojet: Low power consumption, 20,000 RPM high speed fan with built-in RGB LEDs (transparent: RGB LED lighting).
- Cooling: Graphene composite, vapor chamber heat dissipation plate, air aluminum housing, high-speed turbofan, super soft highly conductive rare earth, high conductivity gel, copper coil, heat dissipation plate, air duct cooling, protective case, turbo cooler.
- Filter: FHD+ AMOLED, 120Hz refresh rate, 6.8-inch, 20:9, 1080 x 2400 resolution, 960Hz multi-finger touch sampling rate, DC dimming, Magic GPU 2.0 image enhancement system with 91.8 -> 92.7 screen-to-body ratio featuring 16 million colors Size 166.27mm x 77.1mm x 9.98mm
- Front camera: 16MP UDC
- Rear camera: 64MP+8MP+2MP
- Lester: 235g
- Storage: Obsidian 16GB RAM + 256GB / 16GB RAM + Supernova 512GB. Both with 6GB expandable virtual RAM
- Play area: REDMAGIC OS 5.0 based on Android 12
- Connectivity: Bluetooth 5.2, Wi-Fi 802.11b/g/n/ac/ax 2*2 MIMO, Type C, 3.5mm audio
interface, NFC, 7th generation fingerprint sensor, increased heart rate detection function
- Audio: Smart dual sound system, dual speakers, 3 mics, DTS sound, 3.5mm headphone jack, repositioned for a more comfortable portable gaming experience.
- Material: Aviation aluminum middle frame + Double-sided glass + metal box / metal box + synthetic glass / metal back cover
- Lighting effect: REDMAGIC Logo Light, RGB Breathing Light (Obsidian Version), RGB Colorful Fluorescent Fan (Supernova Version)
Along with the release of REDMAGIC 7 PRO, nubia also announced three new accessories:
- A protective case with a distinctive X Mecha Design. It has a sculpted texture and an integrated cooling aluminum plate with a concave structure for a comfortable grip.
- A tempered glass screen protector that’s been tested to withstand 10,000 high-speed taps and swipes. It is transparent, silky and very durable.
- The turbo cooler is a 29-blade centrifugal turbofan increasing airflow by 217%. The cooling surface increases by 20%, and a 48% increase in airflow. It is quiet, generates less than 30dB using turbo car technology, and also has a game design RGB light effect.
The REDMAGIC 7 PRO will be available in the UK and North America, as well as select countries in Europe, Asia-Pacific, the Middle East and Latin America from REDMAGIC website April 27. The Supernova Edition with 16GB of RAM and 512GB of storage will cost US$899 / €899 / £759 while the Obsidian Edition with 16GB of RAM and 256GB of storage will cost $799 / €799 / £679. Additionally, the company will offer an early bird offer starting April 22.
What do you think of the REDMAGIC 7 Pro gaming smartphone? Will you pick one up? Let us know on social media using the buttons below.
Last updated April 12, 2022.